Plan and budget for, coordinate and manage risk related activities. Ensure loss control is executed in accordance with all laws and within company safety contract specifications. Ensure cost containment for work related injuries and return to work program. Remain current with all company risk software interfaces. Work with Service Teams, Operations, all levels of Management and carrier/TPA to ensure quality service and resolve issues.
- Create annual Risk plan.
- Create budget, manage and control expenditures.
- Establish operational policy for client companies with regard to risk management, safety and worker’s compensation.
- Create and conduct two new or refresher safety training topics per year for client companies and internal staff.
- Solve client operational problems with regard to workers compensation, risk management and safety, to ensure quality service.
- Conduct both new and current client safety inspections to identify job hazards and controls.
- Ensure risk processes are current.
- Manage field surveys.
- Administrate and Manage Return to Work Program.
- Manage and administer drug-testing program.
- Prepare worker’s compensation portion of the conversion package for the client conversion meeting.
- Attend conversion meetings, as required, to discuss issues.
- Receive, coordinate, process information and establish case files of all related information for clients, employees, carriers, and government.
- Contact employee immediately after injury, clarifying actions and options.
- Manage claims to include authorization of treatment and verify drug test administration.
- Aggressively administer the return to work program including light duty, new jobs to include but not limited to; monitoring patient progress, keeping client and carrier informed and providing necessary reports.
- Administer incident, OSHA and loss time injury reporting providing required information to all appropriate parties.
- Produce and audit monthly loss reports and provide findings to CEO.
- Develop contingency plans to deal with emergencies.
- Manage and support litigated claims.
- Annually create accident/injury trend report.
- Provide for post accident drug testing and other testing in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations.
- Ensure clients, employees, and staff, receive proper drug education.
- Comply with all notice and reporting requirements.
- Evaluate prospective client risk/loss information.
- Maintain contact with carrier/TPA.
- Work with HR on alcohol and drug policies and rehabilitation programs for clients.
- Meet with prospects, when necessary.
- Participate in management meetings.
- Participate in strategic decision making, including setting goals and decisions products services as well as mergers and acquisitions.
- Responsible for the upkeep and maintenance of all risk management, workers compensation and safety files.
- Stay current in worker’s compensation, risk management and safety field.
- Make sure all accident and injury files are scanned into paperless system
- Make sure all info for injuries is updated into HRIS system and current.
- Fast paced
- Considerable auto travel
- Ability to work weekends and holidays as needed
- Occasional exposure to diverse business environments
- Lap top, projector, standard computers and printers
- Microsoft Office series (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Fax/Copy machines, telephone and voicemail systems
- Various safety wear
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety & Health/Biological Sciences, Health Sciences or related fields. Or ten years related experience. Masters preferred.
Continuing Education Requirements
- Completion of a minimum of twenty hours per year of continuing education seminar/course hours in safety, worker’s compensation and labor related topics.
- Five to ten years in safety field conducting site surveys, evaluating risk and giving safety presentations to employees.
- Minimum five years Risk Management experience.
- Five to ten years worker’s compensation management
- Excellent negotiator
- Excellent safety meeting presenter/demonstrator
- Attention to details and follow through
- Excellent listener
- Excellent written and verbal communicator
- Excellent interpersonal relations.
- Excellent investigator/researcher
- Cost Control
- Work in team environment
- Walk up several flights of stairs
- Lift 45 pounds
- Carry 25 pounds for long distances
- Work on ladders
Professional and Community Affiliations:
- Maintain a membership in a national or local chapter of American Society Safety Engineering
- Actively participate in community organizations ( i.e. chamber of commerce)